V. Competitive Analysis
You can download our Business Plan Template (including a full, customizable financial model) to your computer here.
Direct & Indirect Competitors
Jersey Ranch is a farm and market situated on 400 acres of land. The Jersey Ranch specializes in raw fluid milk for raw milk cheese. In addition, the farm shares a portion of its herd with the community so that the community is supplied with local raw milk. The company charges $98 per share for an individual to be part of its herd share program with the break-out of costs including:
• Herd Share Purchase: $50 per share
• Jar Deposit: $8 per share
• Boarding Fee: $40 per month per share
The cows on the Jersey Ranch farm are only fed grass (and hay in the winter). The farm also raises cattle and pig for slaughter, and hens for egg production. Furthermore, the ranch grows produce, herbs, trees and flowers to sell to the public.
Plainview Ranch is a family owned and operated ranch that has been in operation since 1917. The company provides a cow share service where individuals can purchase shares, which provides a gallon of milk per week to families for each share purchased. In addition, half shares are available. Cow shares at Plainview Ranch are priced as follows:
• $40 price per share (one-time charge)
• $42 boarding fee (monthly fee)
Individuals who wish to pick-up their share in neighboring towns will be charged a $50 monthly boarding fee. Cows on the ranch are 100% grass-fed. In addition, the ranch also raises cows and pigs for meat. The company also produces organic vegetables.
Eastwind Farms has been in business for the past [xx] years and enjoys great success. It is one of the largest dairy farms in the 200-mile area. It easily caters to local residents primarily due to its prime location. It provides pork, chicken, and beef in addition to a wide variety of dairy products including: cheese, yogurt, and milk.
[Company Name] enjoys several advantages over its competitors. These advantages include:
- Management: The Company’s management team has years of business and marketing experience that allows them to market and serve customers in an improved and sophisticated manner than the competitors.
- Relationships: Having lived in the community for xx years, [Founder’s Name] knows all of the local leaders, media, and other influencers. As such, it will be relatively easy for [Company Name] to build brand awareness and an initial customer base.
- Quality products at affordable pricing: The Company will provide quality products at affordable pricing, as it has high-quality equipment and uses the latest techniques.
- Good Packaging: [Company Name] will utilize product-oriented packaging materials that can reduce the damage in the products at the time of supply.
- Suitable Working Conditions: [Company Name] also ensures that the entire workforce is provided with the best work conditions necessary for optimal functioning.