III. Industry Analysis
[Company Name]directly or indirectly competes with all children’s clothing providers nearby our boutique. Competition will come from department stores, specialty children’s stores, and discount mass retail stores. Direct competition will come from companies offering high-end children’s clothing similar to [Company Name].
Industry Statistics & Trends
The following industry size facts and statistics bode well for [Company Name].
According to IBISWorld’s industry report, the U.S.children’s clothing market is estimated at $10.4 billion with just over 13,000 establishments. This translates to roughly $800,000 average revenue per establishment. The report says that key competitors in the industry include Toys ‘R’ Us, The Children’s Place, Gymboree, Tween Brands Inc. and Carter’s.
The following detail other trends in the market.
- Population growth is set to be strongest among children aged 5 to 9 years, while the 10 to 14 age group looks set to decline.
- Women delaying child bearing until they are older and wealthier, will have a positive impact on premium, branded products leading to retailers offering designer wear for tots.
- Research and Markets notes “The quixotic nature of the market, where high-end items are desired but the same consumers shop at Target.
- Infant and toddler wear continues to claim the lion’s share of this market.
- Research and Markets also notes “the proliferation of specialty “baby boutiques” and similar stores that cater to upscale and specialty niches.